Moms are good at sharing what works (and what doesn’t) when it comes to solving problems and figuring out family and daily life challenges. Being a mother is hard work, whatever stage of life you or your kids are in. So learning and sharing tips and tricks is a nice way help out your fellow moms when they need a solution. This goes for expectant mothers, too. Issues like pregnancy foot pain can really limit you and make waiting on and preparing for a little one that much tougher. Fortunately, there are plenty of tips and tricks to alleviating pregnancy foot pain that could help you.
Gaining weight during pregnancy is normal, but it can take a toll on your feet. Heel and arch pain are common, and you may develop overpronation issues as well. Swelling and varicose veins can be just as uncomfortable and make it difficult to wear shoes. Taking care of these problems at home is easier than you might think, however. Here are a few good tips to try:
- Use supportive shoes or insoles – Shoes with arch support and cushioned soles, or even simple inserts to help with this, alleviate the pressure on your midfoot and heels when you stand or walk.
- Stay hydrated – Swelling actually gets worse when you are dehydrated. Drink plenty of water and avoid too much salt.
- Exercise – Exercising boosts your circulation and helps reduce swelling and cramping in your lower limbs.
- Prop up your feet – When you don’t have to stand or walk, rest your feet by propping them up. This helps prevent fluids from pooling in your lower limbs.
- Consider compression stockings – These special stockings help prevent varicose vein issues and alleviate edema discomfort.
If you’re continuing to struggle with foot pain, or notice the symptoms getting worse, don’t ignore the problem. Our team at Podiatry Associates, P.C. is here to help. We’ll make sure you and your feet stay at their healthiest while you prepare for your little one. Call (303) 805-5156 or use our online forms to reach us for an appointment today at our Parker, Castle Pines, or Cherry Creek, CO, offices.