Autumn is in the air and stores are filled with the latest fall fashions, including a host of footwear styles for the new season. Before you simply grab and go, though, remember the last time you went looking for shoes? Did you end up second guessing those stilettos or wishing you would have tried on those boots? Shoe shopping mistakes are made by many, but we have some tips to help you buy footwear with no regrets!
Poor shoe choices stop here!
- Make sure to measure - Feet tend to change over time, and sometimes one foot may be bigger than the other. You should always measure both feet to ensure your correct shoe size. (If feet are indeed two different sizes, go with the bigger one).
- Know your needs – Do you have flat feet? Maybe you have a high arch, a bunion, or Achilles issues. Never buy shoes without keeping these particulars in mind. Make sure your shoe choice accommodates your needs.
- Pick the right time – As much as you may feel that any time is the right time to shoe shop, resist the urge until later in the day. Feet swell and expand over the course of the day, so plan to go shoe shopping in the late afternoon or evening when feet are at their largest.
- Shop with socks – Bring along the socks you plan on wearing with your shoes to ensure they fit comfortably with them on.
- Banish the “break them in” mentality – Shoes should be comfortable right away, otherwise you’re asking for problems!
- Follow the rule of thumb – For the perfect fit, make sure there’s a thumb’s width of space between the front of the shoe and your longest toe.
- Get the wiggles – Choose shoes with a wide toe box offering plenty of wiggle room.
- Go low – Save the high heels for special occasions and go for styles with lower heels for everyday wear to avoid painful problems.